11/2/13

How to make a brick rocket stove for $6.08

So I came across these two pretty neat YouTube videos this evening pertaining to home built Diy rocket stove. On the cheap too, like $10< USD.

Before this I have seen several variations on a rocket stove. I have seen them built out of unlined 5 gallon metal paint buckets, metal coffee and soup cans and small metal unlined barrels. I stress saying unlined metal because some manufacturers will line metal cans, buckets and barrels with a paint coating. Burning that coating will shorten your life.

This is the first brick one I have seen and frankly I am excited about this. This looks so easy, of course inexpensive, and it is not a permanent fixture. Living in an apartment, this is an important to me. Now typically these I are more used as backup and emergency cooking features, but what I am envisioning is smores on the patio.

I foresee this as a post church Sunday project tomorrow. I will have to stop by Lowe’s for bricks, further more sometimes they even have bundles of wood there. Then smores tomorrow night.

I have linked the first initial video and then a video the author made after he made changes and improvements to the grill.

How to make a brick rocket stove for $6.08

How to improve on the basic brick rocket stove

08/19/13

LED Project – Re-purpose LED Flashlight for Closet Light

The before. Home Depot brand LED Work lights. On clearance at the HD for 2 bucks. Picked up the 4 they had on the aisle I was on. Normally the big one runs on 4 AAA batteries (6 volts) and the little one on 2 AAA batteries(3 volts). I’m going to use 9 volt. For 8 bucks this totals to 65 total LED’s on pre-made boards. All I have to do is wire it up and bam the closet is lit.

998064_817487262593_216078687_n 1209087_817506339363_212417902_n
1185587_817490171763_368679824_n 1175671_817487272573_1814279385_n
1176148_817490111883_1213564575_n 1002879_817490141823_230096245_n
11/25/12

Last Project of the Year-Tube Headphone Amp

41xLzbeWL-L._SL500_AA300_This is just a little write up for you all of what I think will be my last project of the year. This one was an easy one. I did very little work on it. Mostly just a few modifications of a previous design and when everything arrives, assembly. Now as I said, not my original design this time, but that’s ok. It’s a epic design none-the-less.

What is it you ask? A Tube Driven Headphone Amplifier. Link below.
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Solid/12AU7-IRF510-LM317-Headamp/
Specifically it is a 12AU7(ECC82) Tube / IRF510 MOSFET Headphone Amplifier.

It uses one 12AU7 vacuum tube for signal amplification and a pile of other great passive components and a few semi-conductors.

So far I’m not very far into it. I have ordered all my parts. As of Sunday November 25th I have received:

  1. Groove Tubes ST-12AU7 Preamp Tube Silver – Link
  2. 9-Pin Tube Socket Ceramic PC Mount – Link

Printed Circuit Board – PCB

In addition to all that I’ve also out-sourced my PCB construction to a pretty awesome service. Which is called OSH Park. These guys, best I can tell, round up multiple orders for PCB’s and submit them as one board to there builders. This makes it worth while money wise and your not stuck with 50 copies of one board. This is what has forced me in the past to make my own PCB’s. Which I hate to do!

With this service you create your circuit board in Eagle CAD and then upload your design to there website. It will ensure a proper design and tell you how much your going to be charged. It also renders you out pretty pictures of basically how your board will look. I included mine below. Now when you order, you have to order in multiples of 3, but that beats 50 or more. I paid $21 USD for my project. Which to me, that’s not bad. I’ve got 3 boards coming, that’s 7 bucks a piece. I can sell 2 of them if need be to pay for the entire project easily.

i h

07/21/12

Ham Radio Project-Tram Dual Band Antenna Rehab

It’s been a while since I’ve updated, which is unfortunate. I enjoy my forum here. For today though I’m stuck at work, so I’ve brought my newest toy with me. It’s a Tram dual band, 2 meter & 440, base station antenna. It was an eBay find I acquired for a grand total of $28USD.
So, with the help of a friend and fellow ham operator, NI4SR, I have made sure that my propagates well across both bands.

So here’s what I’ve done or am planning to do today.
1.) I’ve already, carefully, removed the sealant/glue applied by the previous owner. I then re-applied some white Stampede “hardcore” caulk/sealant around the none-moving joint. Taking special note to precisely caulk around the base.
2.) Then I let that dry for about two hours or at least tack up. It’s not fully dry yet.
3.) Then I very lightly scuff sanded, with fine grit paper, the fiberglass body of the antenna. Just to promote adhesion.
4.) After that I wiped it down with a damp cloth to clean and get the dust off.
5.) Then I applied my first coat of flat white spray.
5b.) The bottom half of the antenna has absolutely no moving parts, so it got a few coats.
5c.) The top half does slide into the bottom and has bushings so it only get two coats.
6.) Re-assemble!

This is not a hard project and my $100 antenna that I got for $28 will look like, once again, a $100 antenna.
IMG_20120721_085855IMG_20120721_085912IMG_20120721_105631IMG_20120721_150349